Pages

Jan 4, 2013

Three Sisters


Recently I read an article where the author personified the three virtues of faith, charity, and hope into three sisters.  What struck me was his character development of Hope, one of the least understood of the three virtues.  Hope is something I've always struggled with fully understanding as it has always seemed to be the least reliable and the more uncertain of the three.  Reading this opened my eyes and completed what for me was the missing puzzle piece in the triad of virtues.

Here is a link to the entire article (which I would highly recommend reading) but in an effort to avoid long-windedness, I'll summarize.

"Of the three, Faith may be the most well known and popular, the one whose companionship is sought most often. She’s active and energetic, definitely the can-do type. Faith can move mountains, if necessary.

"I picture Charity as being modest and refined, beautiful and gracious. In her presence you feel genuinely loved and accepted. She’s unfailingly kind and generous, patient, empathetic, aware of every need, and responsive without being asked. How could you not want the companionship of someone like Charity?

"[Hope] is serene. Her eyes have the deep, knowing look of someone well acquainted with sorrow, the luminosity of recently being wet with tears. Hope has the confidence of one who clearly sees a bright future even when the next hours seem fog shrouded. Hope is steady and strong, a friend I am glad to have beside me during my own trials."

As I read, my mind drew a vivid mental picture of the three women and I realized that I wanted to try to capture this visualization.  As I thought of who I would use, I immediately knew I wanted to use three beautiful young women that seemed to slide right into each of the three virtues, who conveniently happen to be sisters as well.  

My heart has a soft spot for "Hope," the youngest of them all.  Her life has been laden with more trials and health issues than most people have seen in a lifetime.  As anyone with children knows, a child's suffering also becomes their parent's suffering.  Her parents have also seen more than their fair share of hardship as they've dealt with the painful uncertainty of their little girl's well-being.  There's something sanctifying about people who have suffered as they have, and you feel it when you're with them.  

Thank you to my beautiful models- Faith, Charity, and Hope- who patiently endured the cold and snow to help me get these pictures.


SC1


SC2


SC3


SC4