Pages

Jan 21, 2013

Broken Glass

The older I get, the more I realize how much of a visual person I am.  As I read books or participate in conversations, my mind constantly draws up vivid imagery.  The idea for this picture came after a conversation with a dear friend.

My friend told me of something she had once read, describing our lives as a sort of window from which we look out.  As we sit behind this glass, we are granted a view of our world and the people and experiences in it.  With each blow that comes our way- be it painful words or experiences, divorce, or the death of a loved one- our glass takes a hit.  At times it leaves a tiny ding-hardly distinguishable- but at other times, the blow can leave behind terrible damage, permanently distorting our view.

She spoke with heart-felt tenderness of someone who she holds very dear, who by no fault of her own views life through a tragically cracked and damaged window.

We all know and love people who suffer likewise.  ...And standing by and watching them suffer because of those long-ago damages, sometimes for an entire lifetime, can be almost as painful as the blows themselves.

As my friend spoke, I thought of those people who I hold dear to my heart who suffer similarly and my heart ached.

Broken window1-3